[Cubicweb] FW: Loading cubicweb from Lucid distribution

aurélien campéas aurelien.campeas at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 14:13:16 CET 2010

2010/11/27 Fletcher, John P <j.p.fletcher at aston.ac.uk>

> I have found a copy of unittest2 from pypi.
>
> Are there some instructions as to how to install it in the correct
> location?

For install from sources like that I tend to do (this is the standard python
way, full story there: http://docs.python.org/install/index.html):

python setup.py install --prefix=/home/me

The setup.py should be lying in the top-level of unittest2 after unpacking.

This will install it into:

/home/me/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

Then, adjusting the PYTHONPATH variable to the same path, eg. in
 /home/me/.bashrc:

export PYTHONPATH=/home/me/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

after sourcing your .bashrc you should check:
>>> import unittest2

DISCLAIMER: this is the standard way and I expect unittest2 to conform but I
didn't actually check these steps.

Note for lenny (if you are so inclined to switch distro):
http://www.logilab.org/ticket/49937 mention the fact the the logilab debian
repository has a unittest2 package

Unfortunately, lenny and even Lucid (!) are "old" distributions (whatever
that means) hence these hoops.
(I'd expect squeeze and meerkat, for instance, to ship unittest2).

Hoping that it helps,
Aurélien.

ps: for fellow logilab devs, didn't we switch to unittest2 a bit hastily ?
does it bring so much awesomeness that it was worth bringing packaging pain
on unsuspecting people (including, as you know, ourselves at logilab) ?