[Cubicweb] CWEP-0001 - login and account creation process

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Mon Nov 29 22:40:57 CET 2010

Hi List,

I suggest we refactor the login process in cubicweb.

CWEP-0001 - login and account creation process

Rationale
---------

The current login and account creation process is too complex.

We recently added OpenID, which is nice. We may add soon OAuth, which
will be good. Or maybe we will implement WedID first. Anyway, how many
icons will we end up with in the top right corner ? Right now, on my
instance I can see four: anonymous [openid icon] [register] [log in].

Proposal
--------

The goal would be to have a single item in the top-right corner
related to authentication information.

When not logged-in, it would read "sign in" in english or "connexion" in french.

When logged-in, it would display your username, as is currently done.

Clicking on the "sign in" link would get you to a page where you could
log in or create an account. That page would display as many different
authentication mechanism as known by the app (looking these up in the
registry).

The page could look something like
http://www.semweb.pro/conference/semwebpro2011/registration

For examples of such pages, one can look at google, twitter or meetup.

Implementation
--------------

As you guessed, a first implementation is available from the
cubicweb-conference cube.
http://hg.logilab.org/cubes/conference/file/f41c7b623dc4/views/startup.py#l47

Discussion

Please comment.

PS: Did you notice this is a CubicWeb Evolution Proposal (CWEP,
pronounced sweep, since the goal is to tidy things up :) ?

PPS: Please do not make up your own CWEP numbers when posting to this
list and first ask on this list for the blessing of the core
developers.