[Cubicweb] branch switch

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Mon Mar 22 10:11:23 CET 2010

On 22 mars 09:29, Julien Jehannet wrote:
> > * Sylvain Thénault <sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr> [22-mar-2010 09:01]:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > a quick email to tell that since 3.7.1 has been released last friday,
> > I intend to switch branches in the mercurial repository so:
> >
> > * oldstable becomes 3.6
> > * stable becomes 3.7
> > * default becomes future 3.8
>
> Why not to use directly version names like '3.7' for branches ?

because we don't want to maintain such branches in cubes. We expect
"hg fpull default|stable|oldstable" to provides a working environment
using cw X.Y+1 | X.Y | X.Y-1 where X.Y is the latest stable release.

And that's already a pain.

> I see no major advantages to have symbolic names in our repo.
> It's a pain in major update [1] and 'oldstable' seems to be the signal
> that the current naming becomes inadequate.

I don't pretend oldstable is *the* choice. It's indeed theorically not
a good choice, *but* it's a pragmatic choice and I don't think we really
have another realistic choice.

> [1] Have the cubes been all merged in time ? Have you really update
> *all* your forest recently ? ...

I don't get your point. And yes, I never stop switching from a branch to
another. "fpull -u" is broken for me, though "fup" works fine.