[Cubicweb] cubicweb and the well-known calendar sharing use-case

Olivier CAYROL (LOGILAB) olivier.cayrol at logilab.fr
Mon Jan 25 14:21:19 CET 2010

Sylvain Thénault a écrit :

>> The set of events has an URL (which is used to download it) but each
>> event has also its own URL that allows its unique identification.
>
> URL or URI? As I understand it, I can wget an URL while not necessarily
> an URI.

Not at all.

URL means Uniform Resource Locator and is thus a complete address (such
as http://mysite.fr/my/resource). A locator doesn't necessarly
correspond to something that can be accessed with a browser.

URI means Uniform Resource Identifier and is only a name that will be
turned into an URL thanks to a catalog. This mechanism is useful when
you want to have a single identifier in your documents but you want to
go on the Internet only if you don't have the document on your local
disk. For example "-//my//resource" is defined in my catalog as
"http://mysite.fr/my/resource". After having copied the resource on my
disk, I can change the catalog and define "-//my//resource" as
"/usr/local/my/resource".

It seems to me that the URI and URL used in CW are, in fact, all URLs.
Maybe we could change their names to be consistent with the standard
vocabulary.

  O. CAYROL.
--
Olivier CAYROL                                  LOGILAB - Paris (France)
                                               Olivier.Cayrol at logilab.fr
Python / CubicWeb, Informatique Scientifique, Gestion et Partage d'Infos
Python / CubicWeb,  Scientific  Computing,   Info Management and Sharing