[Cubicweb] cubicweb and the well-known calendar sharing use-case

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Mon Jan 25 10:37:31 CET 2010

On 25 janvier 08:38, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 07:32:59PM +0100, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> > I am searching in this direction
> > http://www.cubicweb.org/doc/en/admin/multisources.html
>
> More precisely, I am looking at the files cubicweb/server/sources/*
> and at the cube named pyrons (cf cubes/pyrons/pnssource.py). The
> schema translation capabilities available from yams.xy and used for
> example in cubicweb/spa2rql.py would be used too.
>
> At this point, my idea is to define a new source type that would
> include the data found in a file.
>
> Although one source per file sounds a bit limiting and LinkedData
> provides, guess what, links, I would be cautious not to turn CW into a
> data harvester just yet.
>
> Of course, a cubicweb/server/sources/rql2sparql.py is also needed, but
> that's for a different thread.

some random thoughts:
* one source per file is definitly not an option
* I don't think a 'real time' sparql source querying the web using
  sparql, parsing result, etc, at each rql query would be usable in
  real life
-> we need caching

As I've said before, we'll move on this as we've done before, by starting
with a simple use case, and evolving step by step to something more
generic / powerful. I'm pretty sure there is no 'one solution fits all
requirements' to the linked data integration pb, but we should be able
to provide something that make it easy to build a custom solution that
suit your needs.

So let's start with that particular calendar event integration: we should
first answer some basic questions:
* how do we get events?
* is an event modifiable once published?
* does it have immutable attributes?
* how to we refer to a single event?
* how do we get updates on this event?
* what level of caching can we accept (in time)?