[Cubicweb] refactoring in style

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Wed Feb 17 19:13:44 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:03:23PM +0100, Julien Jehannet wrote:
> Sorry but I think that's an error to try to use another framework to
> create content served normally as static pages.
> We do need theme policy, not an exotic way to generate css on the fly.

I am not saying we should generate css on the fly. I am saying we
should not have to use search+replace in several css files to make
sure that the default orange color is turned into green, for example.

> Since we already encourage the use of jQuery for our javascript needs,
> my proposition should be rather to look into a possible theme manager as:
>
> http://jqueryui.com/themeroller/

I gather from that web site that it is about styling the jQuery UI
*widgets*, but not standard html. That's useful, but not opposed to
using, say xCSS.

> Clearly, I like the style of these websites but their content type seems
> not be relevant to CubicWeb instance data (text versus tabular data).
> But maybe your "GotRhythm ♫♪" add-on will convince me (its name sounds
> already great! ;-)

It is about readability. Having a lot of tabular data can not be an
excuse to generate unreadable pages.

And for http://www.cubicweb.org/blog/1238 we do not have tabular data,
yet the page is barely readable.