[Cubicweb] User cubes and version numbers

aurélien campéas aurelien.campeas at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 21:14:16 CET 2010

2010/12/11 Fletcher, John P <j.p.fletcher at aston.ac.uk>

> I notice that the supplied cubes have version numbers which are used in
> some cases to control compatibility.
>
> I want to start modifiying the supplied cubes e.g. folder which needs to be
> modified to be much use.
>
> How should I use version numbers?

You probably do not want to do that (at least immediately; if you have some
good general-purpose idea you want to share on the folder cube or another,
we'll take it :).

> If I stick with your version numbers I have no control within my own work.
> If I increment yours I could be out of step when you in turn increment
> them.
>
> What do you recommend?

That you extend/modify one base cube from within another one. For instance
with folder, either you derive it to a more fitting "richfolder" cube or you
adapt it directly from within a final application cube.

You will find that you need to think about :

* the schema: see api to define a schema in terms of another cube's schema
* the orm (python representation of entities) layer: how to refine/override
functionality
* the views layer: how to extend, replace, inhibit functionality

You may want to start reading:
* http://docs.cubicweb.org/devrepo/vreg.html to familiarize yourself with
the vocabulary & api there
* http://docs.cubicweb.org/devrepo/datamodel/index.html
* http://docs.cubicweb.org/devrepo/entityclasses/index.html
* http://docs.cubicweb.org/devrepo/devcore/index.html

* http://docs.cubicweb.org/devweb/views/index.html

and pose more specific questions in this list ...