[Cubicweb] CW app distribution with a not brand new cw version

Yann Cointepas yann at sapetnioc.org
Mon Apr 19 16:22:18 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Florent Cayré <florent at secondweb.fr>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> the high rate of cubicweb versions delivery raises a problem : how to
> distribute an application that uses not the latest logilab debian repo
> published cw version, but say, the latest of the 3.6 series ?
>
> Until now I was very happy to tell my customers they could install my
> applications using a very simple "apt-get install cubicweb-MYCUBE" command,
> but apt will fetch the latest cw version, ignoring dependency instructions
> like "Depends: cubicweb-common (= 3.6.3-1)" present in my application's
> debian control file. The only solution I found is to ask the customer to
> specify ALL cw and related packages versions (logilab-common, rql, indexer,
> yams, etc.) but the corresponding apt-get command becomes ugly. Is there
> something I miss regarding apt-get usage? I am aware of pinning
> capabilities, but can not figure out how it could help in this situation
> (first requirement being the solution must be simpler than specifying all
> package versions on the apt-get command line).

If my understanding of the problem is good (otherwise, I am sorry for the
SPAM), there are three reasons that could explain that your dependencies are
not taken into account:

1) apt is not working correctly
2) There is a problem in your package
3) There is a problem in cubicweb packages dependencies

I can hardly believe that the problem is 1), it would mean that apt system
is not practically usable. If the reason for your problem is 3), could not
you fix it by adding more constraints on your package (for instance
"Conflicts: cubicweb-common (>= 3.7)" ?

Once installed, this is no more a problem because upgrading your application