[Cubicweb] CW app distribution with a not brand new cw version

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Wed Apr 21 07:20:36 CEST 2010

On 20 avril 23:10, Florent Cayré wrote:
> Well, that said, I am not sure it is a good idea to write a helper
> script that would compute the real dependencies and force apt-get
> using its output versions as you suggest. I would rather prefer
> distributing all needed packages in a customer dedicated repo (as you
> do yourself I believe), as I already do anyway (but without any cw
> package for the moment).

That's what we're trying to avoid with this proposal. What problem
do you see with such script? Isn't it what you were expecting apt
to acheive at a first glance?

> Your document addresses a bunch of other (more or less related) points
> however, and is of great value for people working with cw (especially
> public APIs imo). I would add some requirements though :
>
> * move a lot of cw debian/control Recommends section content (if not
> all) into Suggests section : "final" cubes (i.e. top-most cubes) can
> easily add dependencies if needed ; adding --no-install-recommends to
> apt-get install command is an ugly way not to install too much
> packages (imo)

what are you thinking about? I can't see that much cubes using Recommends.
I can still add that recommendation to the final document though.

> * make it easy (if not already done, in which case a pointer to the
> corresponding doc would be highly appreciated in response to this
> email ;-) ) to setup a development environment (using mercurial
> forest) for a given cw version (and corresponding cubes dependencies),
> and give another cw version a try

we could use the same idea described here but using dependency info in
the __pkginfo__ file. Nico started a tool to do such thing. Though
currently, it's only easy to test the current development version
and the latest stable release by doing 'hg fup default' or 'hg fup stable'
in the forest.