[Cubicweb] CW app distribution with a not brand new cw version

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Mon Apr 19 15:05:45 CEST 2010

On 19 avril 14:42, Julien Jehannet wrote:
> > * Florent Cayré <florent at secondweb.fr> [19-avr-2010 10:39]:
> Florent,
>
> I'm glad you raise this point on the CubicWeb mailing-list.
> I've the same problem and my solution was identical to yours.
>
> Few days ago, we have the same discussion at Logilab and the
> thread vanished in an ineffective way: no decision was taken.

I disagree. The final point is: you should provide a customer a
repository on which you've full control, and you maintain it by
adding new packages as needed (and tested). Also, customers shouldn't
add logilab's public repositories in their sources.lists on production
servers.

> > Once installed, this is no more a problem because upgrading your application
> > does not imply upgrading cw as well. Note however that the customer can not
> > "apt-get dist-upgrade" either. Is the only solution to this (more debian-
> > than cubicweb- related) problem to have all needed cw packages in the same
> > debian repo than the application itself? If so, is there a simple solution
> > to distribute them myself without rebuilding them all (I use logilab debian
> > dedicated tools)?
>
> I proposed a clean and very simple solution in having dedicated
> CubicWeb repositories with different released versions as sections:
>
> 	cubicweb.org/dists/cubicweb/
> 	cubicweb.org/dists/cubicweb/3.7
> 	cubicweb.org/dists/cubicweb/3.8

I'm not willing (and have no time) to maintain such thing.

> For example, we could have this sources.list entry for the 3.7 mainline series as follow:
>
> 	deb http://cubicweb.org/dists/cubicweb 3.7/
>
> Core developpers should be responsible of the published packages and
> their dependancies in these repositories. This job is not ours, IMO.

This is the developper's job to provide his customer a safe repository,
and to test his product with a given cubicweb configuration. We could
have tools to make it easier though. But now that you say it, it's probably
not my job to develop such tools.

> No so perfect but this "architecture" is really fast to set up.

Sorry, I don't agree here. Maintaining an endless growing list of repository
is a pain. Customers repository at least freeze with the ends of the project.

Now I would definitly like to be able to do "apt-get install cubicweb=X.Y.Z"
but I don't see how to do this without a smarter apt.