[Cubicweb] CW app distribution with a not brand new cw version

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Wed Apr 21 11:47:45 CEST 2010

On 21 avril 09:50, Florent Cayré wrote:
> 2010/4/21 Sylvain Thénault <sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr>:
> > On 20 avril 23:10, Florent Cayré wrote:
> > That's what we're trying to avoid with this proposal. What problem
> > do you see with such script? Isn't it what you were expecting apt
> > to acheive at a first glance?
>
> This is exactly the problem : it should be apt-get's job ; not more than that.

well, I'm afraid we'll have to handle that...

> I was thinking about cubicweb itself : now that debian has changed the
> default policy regarding recommanded packages (now installed by
> defaut), I think cw has too much unnecessary dependencies : more than
> that, these dependencies are only "packaging driven", cw code itself
> does not require all this (and I know you just worked avoiding fop as
> a cw dependency, which is a step back to the right direction : keep cw
> dependencies minimal, unless it is really helpful for every end-user).

IMO things that are in Recommends are tied to functionnality that
should be moved in separated cube, as the pdf export functionnality
was. We could still turn recommends into suggets in the mean time.

> > we could use the same idea described here but using dependency info in
> > the __pkginfo__ file. Nico started a tool to do such thing. Though
> > currently, it's only easy to test the current development version
> > and the latest stable release by doing 'hg fup default' or 'hg fup stable'
> > in the forest.
> >

> Will this tool include logilab.common, yams, rql, indexer, and so on ?

it should.

> I was rather thinking of forest snapshots or so ; I currently use my
> own (too) simple bash scripts to achieve this, and it is really a pain
> to maintain for a non cw developper, forest snapshots would be nicer
> if they still exist.

forest snapshots have to be maintained. Experience showed we don't do it.
Also, forest is a pain and we'll probably swich to subrepos at some point.