[Cubicweb] INstalling cubicweb

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Mon Nov 30 00:26:33 CET 2009

Hi there,

Its late, and I am slighlty drunk, but I'll try to write a consistent
e-mail.

So, I have been trying to install cubicweb and components without ever
becoming root, and it has been a struggle.

The idea being that I have my $PYTHONPATH that is
$HOME/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages and that I install stuff using
'python setup.py install --prefix ~/usr'. Installing of course worked
well for cubicweb, but then I hit two problems.

The first one is that the cube that I am interested in (the euroscipy
conference website) depends on a lot of cubes and I have to explore the
web to find this out and manually download them. This is terribly
time-consuming and error-prone. Easy-install is a piece of crap, but it
would be nice to list the requires in the meta information (mayb they are
there, and I missed them?). pip could give me a full download if the
stars were aligned and the requirements were well-filled and all uploaded
to pypi.

The second problem is that support for cubes installed outside of /usr
seems not ideal. When I install a cube using 'python setup.py install
--prefix ~/usr' cubicweb does not detect it, eventhough I have installed
cubicweb using the same command line.

I am probably being stupid, however all the instructions available
suppose that you are running a debian system. While this is the case for
me, I don't want to use apt-get, because I don't want to instal cubicweb
as root.

Thanks for any help or comments,

Gaƫl