[Cubicweb] INstalling cubicweb (fwd)

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Fri Dec 4 10:19:18 CET 2009

Hello Gael,

On 30 novembre 08:49, Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> It seems that the reply-to of the mailman is wrong :)

weird

> ----- Forwarded message from Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> -----
>
> Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:47:50 +0100
> From: Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org>
> To: Nicolas Chauvat <nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr>
> Cc: cubicweb at tucana.logilab.fr
> Subject: Re:  [Cubicweb] INstalling cubicweb
>
> Well, I was talking about cube-to-cube dependencies, and the fact of
> having to download each cube manually.

this is clearly not really an option as there are many cubes and
dependancies.

> Speaking of which, not every project entry on the forge has download
> links, some are broken (constraints), and sometimes there is no dowload
> link on pypi.

we're using daily forest and debian packages. So those two ways to use
or develop with cubicweb are well tested. We also provides ubuntu packages
that we do not use that much by ourselves, but should be ok. Though I
don't think we've a karmic repository yet.

> What really made my life harder was the fact that with hg 1.3 (as in
> Karmic), I can't clone the forest (fclone is not available). As I wasn't
> able to browse it either, I wasn't able to check out the whole cubicweb
> 'world' and had to do things manually.

forest is an hg extensions not provided.
See http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/ForestExtension
That should make your life easier :)

> With regards to the bunch of environment variables: I really don't like
> relying on environment variables. It makes things fragile because what
> will run for one user, won't run for another. Why not simply use standard
> paths, as you do with your root install, and explore various standard
> '--prefix' options (/usr, /usr/local, and the prefix guessed from the
> cubicweb install). Also, even after setting those environment variables,
> 'python setup.py install' does not work right for the cubes I tried it
> on, and you have to manually copy files, or do symlinks.

[snip patch, included in hg]

> And finally, I now can list a bunch of cubes, but if I try to instantiate
> the one I am interested in, I get:
>
> cubicweb-ctl create -c all-in-one euroscipy myeuroscipy
> /home/varoquau/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cubicweb/utils.py:16:
> DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
>   from md5 import md5
> ERROR:  no cube shared in ['/home/varoquau/usr/lib/cubes', '/usr/share/cubicweb/cubes/']
>
> I am not sure what this error means. The answer is probably in the docs,
> :).
>
> I understand that fixing all these little details basically boils down to
> developer time, and that's what we lack all. I am just pointing them out
> to help the adoption of cubicweb: I have spent a few hours installing it;
> from my experience, you loose a lot of potential users by this time (and
> I am aware that these are hard problems, and that the softwares I work on
> suffer from them too).

I agree we should ease this first user experience, but right now we've
unfortunatly almost no time to enhance ways that we do not use by ourselves:

- use a full forest environment
- use packages for your distribution and develop as regular user by setting
  CW_MODE=user and CW_CUBES_PATH=my_own_cubes_directory

The later is probably the most recommended way.

Hope that helps,
cheers