Summary of June 11th to 15th

Laurent Wouters lwouters at cenotelie.fr
Fri Jun 15 19:32:26 CEST 2018

Dear all,

This is a quick recap of what was going on this week on my end.

Following on last week's intro to the work on a generic web client for Cubicweb, I have started on a proof of concept based on a new tool stack, namely ReasonML and its companion framework Reason React. This has, in my opinion, two purposes: First, let me
get my hands dirty in this technological ecosystem and Second, evaluate whether functional languages could be more easily leveraged for the task at hand. My first objective was to replicate the capabilities of the current client produced by Frank.
Unfortunately, it is not there yet, but it is already able to query the backend for the schema, and display the collection of entities. The code for this work is available at : https://bitbucket.org/laurentw/logilab-cubicweb-client

A first feedback about the differences between the Javascript and OCaml/ReasonML application is that OCaml (and therefore ReasonML) strongly encourages (read it nearly forces) the use of strongly-defined types for web APIs (fetching data). Whereas you
could get away in Javascript by simply parsing JSON gotten from the server, with OCaml/ReasonML you have to define the object types exchanged between the server and the client.

I had some difficulty to get the tech stack right (npm, etc) so that it went slower that I had anticipated this week but I have hope that next week will see swifter improvements.

Cheers!

Laurent