Summary of June 4th to 8th

Laurent Wouters lwouters at cenotelie.fr
Mon Jun 11 09:47:20 CEST 2018

> Could you be more specific about the DSL you mention ? Would you have
> examples of what you have in mind ?

Yes, in fact I looked in the literature and found a lot of approaches for binding data to a UI. Unsurprisingly a lot of them came from the model-driven engineering community ; a lot of work has been produced on the automatic derivation of UI from a data
model. Also unsurprisingly, this is similar to what React and other web frameworks provide, at a lower level. See attached p652 for an enlightening example of an earlier academic work in this direction.

However, I found some interesting ideas in "Reactive Abstractions for Functional Web Applications", attached to this email. The paper gives some examples (in F#) of what could be achieved with a functional language for an expressive abstraction of a UI
bounded to a data model. This is probably the level of expression to aim for.

>> I also found some work regarding a browser plugin that seems to act as a client for the web of data. Is it related to the efforts described above?
> Yes. What Hugo and I had working was:
>
> (1) clone repositories
> (2) use a command-line command to activate/deactivate the views
>     then rebuild the extension and load it into the browser
> (3) browse the web, see the extension icon light up when it detects
>     schema.org data in HTML
> (5) click on the extension icon to switch to "data browser mode" that
>     would display an overlay above the HTML page with a rendition of
>     the generic data browser where you can chose your own view among
>     the ones you activated at build time
>
> I would like us to search how to combine this and the generic
> hypermedia API client written by Frank. Since a generic hypermedia
> client and a browser extension seem to be two different things, I
> gather the views might be shared between the two, but let us look for
> ideas to figure out how to better integrate both!

From a purely technological standpoint I don't know yet how this could be done, but I think a general approach could be to have a high-level expression of the views that could be compiled down into different technological spaces, the browser extension and
the web client (and why not a server-side view in Python/Pyramid). I'll look into it this week.

Laurent